Gistwheel Global Community
Hello!
Welcome to the forum,click on login to access your account or register a new account.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello!
Welcome to the forum,click on login to access your account or register a new account.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

13  24  6  5  8  1  23  3  15  21  12  2  19  17  9  18  16  14  20  4  25  22  11  10  7  

Latest topics
» DEVOTIONAL'S CONTINUATION
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 5:32 pm by Evangelista_GP

»  A Prayer for Integrity
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 pm by Evangelista_GP

»  ‘Restless, Irritable, and Discontent’
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 1:25 pm by Evangelista_GP

» ‘Turning … Serving … Waiting’
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 1:40 pm by Evangelista_GP

» 'God is (6)'
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 3:21 pm by Evangelista_GP

» ‘God Is’ (5)
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2016 12:18 pm by Evangelista_GP

» ‘God Is’ (4)
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 12:25 pm by Evangelista_GP

» ‘God Is’ (3)
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 11:53 am by Evangelista_GP

» How to Improve Your Relationships
Pray with the Right Motives I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2016 12:07 pm by Evangelista_GP

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Similar topics
    Affiliates

free forum

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

Pray with the Right Motives

+2
    Sophia Handel
    Evangelista_GP
    6 posters

Go down

Pray with the Right Motives Empty Pray with the Right Motives

Post by Evangelista_GP Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Pray with the Right Motives

‘Search me, O God, and know my heart.’
    Psalm 139:23

Here are two mistakes we make when it comes to praying. 1) We focus on our failures. Therefore we pray without faith and confidence (see 1 John 3:21-22). 2) We fail to examine our motives. The psalmist wrote, ‘Search me, O God, and know my heart … see if there is any wicked way in me’ (Psalm 139:23-24 NKJV). There are prayers God won’t answer for our own good - or at least not right now. Pastor Jerry Sittser writes: ‘Your cause may be right, but you may still be wrong: manifesting pride, gloating in victory, punishing wrongdoers with excessive severity … The great hazard for people on a crusade is … they become blind to their own faults. They fight for civil rights but treat janitors like second class citizens. They uphold standards of biblical sexuality but show little grace toward their spouse. Unanswered prayer is God’s gift … it protects us from ourselves. If all our prayers were answered we’d abuse the power … use prayer to change the world to our liking, and it would become hell on earth. Like spoiled children with too many toys and too much money, we’d grab for more. We’d pray for victory at the expense of others … intoxicated by power we’d hurt people and exalt ourselves. Isaiah said, “The LORD longs to be gracious to you … therefore He waits” (Isaiah 30:18 NASB). Unanswered prayer protects…breaks…deepens and transforms. Past unanswered prayers which left us hurt and disillusioned, act like a refiner’s fire to prepare us for future answers.’ Bottom line: pray with the right motives!

Esther 3-5, Rom 11:1-18 (Bible in one year)

© 2016: This devotional is produced by UCB, free of charge through the generosity of our supporters. As a gift to the body of Christ, permission is given to Churches and Christian organisations to copy up to a maximum of 52 daily excerpts per year. Excerpts must acknowledge The Word for Today as the source, give the UCB address and inform that free issues of the daily devotional are available for the UK and Republic of Ireland.

The Word For Today is written by Bob and Debby Gass

For more information about the terms of use, contact publications@ucb.co.uk

Evangelista_GP
    Evangelista_GP

Language : English language and French

Back to top Go down

Pray with the Right Motives Empty Re: Pray with the Right Motives

Post by Evangelista_GP Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:30 pm

'Unanswered prayer protects…breaks…deepens and transforms.' Amen! I just want to thank God for my unansewered prayers because they caused me to quit some bad behaviours, to reconsider my commitment to Him, to be in an other intimacy level with Him and yes they do transform me, make me to be more and more like Christ! A good father knows what his child needs and gives him at the right moment! If you pray to avoid suffering, know that, sometimes, it is essential to reach a higher level in our faith. Hold on, God is working on you and will get you out of this!  Smile
    Evangelista_GP
    Evangelista_GP

Language : English language and French

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophia Handel Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:53 pm

And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. (James 4:3)When I read texts like this one, I perk up. If there’s one thing I desire in this world, it is that myprayers be answered. Afterall, some of my requests are issues of life and death! James gives us a caveat to answered prayer – our motives. When I pray for my children, for example,am I praying that they will behave well so that they will reflect well on me? If that is my motivation, then I can forget about it. God sees through that self-centered motive. He ignores the prayer of the narcissist.Father,Examine me and rid my soul of self-seeking in my life and in my prayers. I ask you to forgive me and cleanse me from tendencies toward this evil. You oppose the proud but give grace to the humble. I receive your forgiveness and your cleansing from all egotistical ways, particularly in my prayers. May I never seek what is best for ME,rather may I seek what is best for You, for others, and for Your Kingdom.Amen
    Mark and Jill Herrinshaw
    Sophia Handel
    Sophia Handel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dumebi Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Amen! Evangelista.That's my prayer
    Dumebi
    Dumebi

Language : English and Igbo

Back to top Go down

Post by ozoemena Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Amen! Well said GP :-)
    Psalm 50:14-15Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
    ozoemena
    ozoemena

Language : English language,little latin

http://http//:www.gistwheel.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nneoma Adichie Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Amen
    Nneoma Adichie
    Nneoma Adichie

Language : Igbo,English

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivy Lee Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Amen. O Lord, please teach me to pray for the right things,for the right reasons, at the right time and the right way!
    Ivy Lee
    Ivy Lee

Language : English, Spanish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down